Monday 21 January 2008

Last wishes

To him that is joined to all the living there is hope. A living dog is better than a dead lion. This reminds me of a story:



Timur's death mask
The years had passed without mercy. Tamerlane grew to conceive that time was the one enemy he could not conquer. He became interested in what the world would do after him. At the usual hour of leisurely repose, so much deserved by a king of kings, he addressed the following deep thought to his humble jester Nasrudin:

“When I am set down in my casket, mourned by my soldiers, ready to be taken to my last repose, I want people to look at my unmoving face and say: Here is one man whose glory is eternal!"

Timur was silent for a while, satisfied with his thought, then he turned his heavy gaze to Hodja and asked generously:

“And you, worm, what would you like people to say about you at such a moment?”

Nasrudin thought for a moment, and then replied with a wry smile:

“I, Master would love them to say: Look! He’s moving!”

No comments: