Sunday 27 January 2008

Sharing with God

It is most profitable to associate with Divinity when you beg. You are looked at down and up, at the same time. This reminds me of a story:


Tamerlane’s dark army was streaming along a dusty trail under a boring dry succession of sandy gusts. In front, Tamerlane on his stallion. Behind, Hodja tottering on his mule.

Towards noon, in the precise middle of nowhere, the cavalcade came upon a skinny dervish curled up inside a white circle chalked on the dry ground. Tamerlane stopped. Nasreddin stopped. The legions stopped. Timur leaned forward and asked the man how he was surviving there.

“I ask human alms and humbly share them with God Almighty,” answered the dervish with a virtuous grin.

“By what means do you share with Allah?” inquired Timur.

“By self-restraint and modesty,” replied the anchorite, turning an insinuating critical eye towards the plump Hodja. “Whatever money I’m offered, I cast it up and use it depending where it falls. If it drops inside my white circle, I use it for myself. If it descends outside the ring it is God’s and I don’t touch it.”

Timur turned to Nasreddin :

“What do you say of this admirable moderation, worm? You, the always complaining.”

“I say: Isn’t the snake that spends all his life crawling in the dust the humblest creature?”

“Maybe,” insisted Tamerlane, “but how do you share with Allah?”

“I don’t have such impudent pretence, as I know that everything is His. Whatever money I obtain from your generosity I throw it all in the air for God’s judgement. Allah keeps what he wills. I only take for myself what falls back.”

No comments: